I love a simple life. It is truly who I am deep in my soul. However, for so many years I was overdoing and hustling for my worth to feel more accepted. Raise your hand if this feels like you! What brought significant change for me was my YOGA and Meditation practice. I'm still learning to uncover ME and that includes letting go of patterns that want to move me back to doing and pleasing. Here are some of key things I've learned to do to keep myself focused on keeping it simple.
- Start each day in quiet reflection with God. If this is new to you, it might seem daunting and you will probably be met with resistance. Keep it simple. Start with 10 minutes of quiet prayer or meditation. Find a devotional that speaks to you. Journal about a reading. It doesn't have to be complicated, it just has to happen. I have worked myself up to 30 minutes, but on some days I'm there for an hour because I feel like I'm in the flow! It has transformed how my days play out.
- Be present and mindful. This follows right after #1 because having that time with God helps me to have internal peace where I can say to myself, "How do I want to show up today?" For me it's about taking every task, even the smallest, and being present. Putting positive energy around everything I do. Whether it's making coffee, doing laundry or teaching a yoga class, I want to be present and mindful of how I'm showing up.
- Inspired Planning. I'm a planner, but I know that many people are not. However, if we don't plan, that's when distractions, resistance and chaos take over! Or when we ignore the calling of our body by over-doing and over-working. I plan my days to include what brings joy first. I schedule my prayer and meditation time. My yoga time. Walking time. Eating time. R&R time. After that I add work time. I even set aside time each week to plan my week ahead. I ask what I want to do first. Like have lunch with a friend or a creative class or workshop. I always add those first. It took me 47 of my 48 years to do this, and I have to say, I find more fulfillment in my days now that I ever have before. However, my planning is not ridgid, it's inspired! I'm inspired by what brings joy and fulfillment in my life!
- Identify distractions in your life. As you meet the day with the intention of being present in all activities and interactions, you'll then be able to see clearly and notice what shows up to distract you. Tips inside the tip ~ Turn off the noise (TV, Social Media, News) and set clear boundaries so the distractions don't have the power to take over your day. And not everything is a crisis!
- Stop worrying about what other people are doing. Don't judge or compare. God created us an unique individuals and our journey is unique as well! So there is no use comparing and no use judging either. This is a big challenge in our society. I always fall back to my favorite quote, "The opposite of what you know is true for someone else."
- Focus on what brings you joy and do more of it every day!
- Give yourself Grace and Mercy. We all make mistakes in life. No one is perfect. Our mistakes and missteps do not define who we are. You are enough! Believe it and go easy on yourself.